Prof Coutinho is currently the Professor and the in-charge Principal of the Bombay College of Pharmacy.
He obtained his M. Sc. and M. Sc. (Tech.) from the University Department of Chemical Technology (currently known as the Institute of Chemical Technology), the University of Mumbai in 1989, Matunga, Mumbai.
He obtained his Ph. D. (Tech.) in Pharmaceutical Chemistry at Bombay College of Pharmacy in the year 1989.
He is a renowned scientist and teacher in pharmacy and has been teaching at Bombay College of Pharmacy for more than three decades and as visiting faculty at several well-known institutes and Universities in India.
His interest lies in the area of NMR of peptides, strategic design of anti-infective agents using computer-assisted tools for drug design. He has supervised more than 40 Master’s Students (3 currently working) and has mentored 19 PhD Students (4 currently working).
- 2018- present: In-charge Principal at Bombay College of Pharmacy.
- 1997-2018: Professor of Pharmaceutical Chemistry at Bombay College of Pharmacy.
- 2012-2015: Chairman of the Ad-hoc Board of Studies for Pharmacy at the University of Mumbai.
- 1992-1997: Asst Professor of Pharmaceutical Chemistry at Bombay College of Pharmacy.
- 1986-1992: Lecturer in Pharmaceutical Chemistry at Bombay College of Pharmacy.
- 1994 & 1997: Visiting Fellow at Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Sciences, Banglore. (Fellow with Prof. J Chandrashekar)
- 2015: Springbank Pharmaceuticals (USA) for studies on Anti-infective targets.
- 2014: BASF (Ludwigshafen, Germany) for In silico estimation of drug resistance.
AlchemPvt Limited for Structure-based drug design.
- 2009: USV Pharma for the Molecular dynamic study of peptides.
- 2004: Biocon Limited for Training in structure determination of peptides by NMR.
- 2003: AstraZeneca India Pvt. Ltd for Solution structure of the N-terminal sequence of a bacterial protein by 2D-NMR and molecular modelling methods.
- 1997: Ciba Specialty Chem. Ltd forSemi-empirical and forcefield calculations of organic molecules.
AlchemieResearch Centre for Molecular modelling and quantum mechanical calculations of organic molecules.
- 1994: Wockhardt Ltd for Computer-aided molecular design and computational chemistry.
Member of important committees and panels
- Expert Committee for Pharmacy Council of India inspection of Pharmacy institutes in India.
- Expert Committee for LIC inspection of technical institutes in India.
- Expert Committee of Union Public Service Commission, New Delhi for recruitment of pharmacy teachers in India.
- Expert Committee of All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) Western region for inspection of Pharmacy colleges in India.
- 2004: Cluster Development Core Committee, Ministry of Small Scale Industries, Government of India.
- 2003: Program Advisory Committee of the National Facility for High Field NMR, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai.
Awards and Honours
- 2008: Elsevier’s ‘ Most cited paper award 2008 for the paper “Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry 2006;14(21):7302-10”.
- 2003: Cipla Distinguished Fellowship in Pharmaceutical Sciences by University Institute of Chemical Technology, Nov. 2003.
- 1999: University Grants Commission (UGC) Research Award, May 1999.
- 1998: Resident Scholarship to the 1998 Residential School on Medicinal Chemistry, Drew University, Madison, New Jersey, USA, June 8 –12, 1998.
- 1995: Career Award for Young Teachers, All India Council of Technical Education.
- 1993: PAMDAL Best Teacher Award for Pharmacy Colleges in Bombay.
- 1984: First Rank in Bombay University at the B.Sc. (Tech.) Exam.
- 1984-85: Nominated by the Vice-Chancellor to the Senate and Students Council of Bombay University.
- 1984: The
Dr.M. K. Rangnekar Memorial Bronze Medal.
- 1984: The Prof. M. L. Khorana Memorial Prize.
- 1984: The Prof. J. G. Kane Memorial Prize.
- 1984: The
Mrs.R. B. Forster Book Prize.
- 1984: The
Mrs.Soonabhai Dadabhoy Master Scholarship in Pharmaceuticals & Fine Chemicals.
- 1984: IDMA – G. P. Nair Award.
- 1981-84: Naunihal Foundation Scholarship.
- 1982-84: The Shri Brihad Bharatiya Samaj Scholarship.
- 1984-86: University Grants Commission – Junior Research Fellowship.